The Moravian settlement of Christiansbrunn (or Christian’s Spring), located two miles west of Nazareth, PA, was established in 1749 as a farming community with a sawmill. For a generation, most single men in the Upper Places lived at Christiansbrunn, while married couples resided at Nazareth and Gnadenthal. (A few married couples and families also resided at Christiansbrunn.) In 1757 Moravian authorities began to send young boys to Christiansbrunn to learn trades such as tailor, shoemaker, and scribe. In 1795, Moravian authories disbanded this community of single men and settled only married couples there to work as farmers. By 1850, most of the settlement's land had been sold to non-Moravians and in 1899 the Kleppingers, who had owned much of the Christiansbrunn land since the 1860s, sold it to various cement companies.
The images on this site, except where noted otherwise, are used courtesy of the Moravian Archives, Bethlehem, PA.
This site remains a work-in-progress. We continue to add, and to revise, the information it contains. If you have corrections or suggestions, please email Professor Scott Gordon (firstname.lastname@example.org).